Thursday, July 28, 2011

violet vs. vietnam

Speaking of the motherland, my not-so-baby cousin Violet is being shipped back for a year courtesy of a Fulbright award. She'll be teaching English at Tra Vinh University way, way deep in the Mekong Delta. 


mekong delta, vietnam | july 2008


Hopefully, upon her return, she will know more than just the Vietnamese words for food: bánh mì, cà phê sữa đá, bún thịt nướngBut let's be honest, the most important words to know in any language are the ones that will help you navigate a menu, at least in my book

I am envious but excited for her as she embarks on her first post-graduate adventure! And I can't wait to hear her stories and her reflections about a land that no one in my Phamily has lived in for over three decades. Who knows, I may just have to arrange an elective clinical month in Vietnam for February 2012, just in time to coincide with Tết, the Lunar New Year...

Bon voyage, m'dear! 


las vegas, nv | february 2011

2 comments:

gradydoctor said...

Dang. You're so travel-ly. Guess what? Joshua called me yesterday and told me this business of Iceland. See? I so did not get this travelocity gene. But love living vicariously through you. . . .

Congrats to the baby cousin. . . .

atn19 said...

I must really thank the Rollins for having their wedding in the South of France. It's given me an excuse for an undeserved, but very much anticipated fall Eurotrip- to Iceland and France!