Tuesday, July 26, 2011

prickly pear

Deck the halls with boughs of holly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be jolly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

It's that time of year... It's residency application season!

I feel like it was just yesterday when I was writing my personal statement for medical school. And I underwent that super-fun chore twice since I was not (fortunately) accepted by anybody the first go-round. I didn't realize it at first, but I did indeed need those two years "off" in between undergrad and medical school: for soul-searching, for growing up and as an added bonus, for an amazing 2-month trip through South America with the little (albeit taller) sister.

Somehow though, in the blink of an eye, four years have passed. And I must sit down - and once again - succinctly enumerate what makes me stand out from the pack. To attach an identity and a personality to the face-less CV and impersonal test scores. To convey my passion for reproductive health and reproductive justice in one single-spaced page, size 11 font.

But, at least now, I do have a more concrete and tangible answer to that grade school question.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"An obstetrician/gynecologist."

The reactions I get are sometimes encouraging, sometimes ambivalent and sometimes downright infuriating.

"That's great. I'd love to have someone like you be my doctor!"

"Hmm. I can totally see that. You're ... kind of ... bitchy."

"Really? But I think you're too nice!"

Hmph.

Today, I was told - by an American male physician - that most OB/Gyns are "rough around the edges" and that maybe it was "because it's become a female-dominated field."

I ignored the blatant sexist implication, squashed my indignance, and instead, thought to myself, "Guate-ever."


lake toxaway, NC | photo courtesy of Jessica Cofrin

6 comments:

gradydoctor said...

Dang! Time really flies!

Yes. You will be an awesome OB/Gyn. Whatev to that crazy comment. My OB is not/was not rough around the edges. She was soft around the edges and promptly calmed my screaming arse down when I was pushing out that 9+ pound baby back in 2005. Yeah, I said PUSHING OUT A 9 POINT 2 POUNDER.

Seriously, though. . . .a lot of trust is placed in the hands of your OB/Gyn. It's so vulnerable. You care about people, Ant, so this is a good fit for you. You like to talk to people and it requires that. All moms (especially the first go) are on ledges that they need to be talked off of. That requires soft edges, not rough ones. . . .but hell, what do I know? I only had TWO BIG AZZ BABIES before.

Tell that dude aka "AMERICAN" doctor:

WHATever.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your applications!

After reviewing dozens of post-doc applications and graduate student resumes, I can tell you that you must make yourself standout within the first five lines of your CV/Coverletter/Personal Statement or whatever you MDs use. Of course you already know this, but really tailor that part just right. Otherwise there's a good chance no one will read the rest of your application.

Jim

Li-Wei said...

Guate-ever indeed! You're going to be an amazing OB/Gyn, so ignore the haters. And good luck with the app, my love!

xx,

LW

pooj and jess said...

That picture really screams, "TRUST ME! I'm capable and intelligent and won't puncture your uterine walls." Yep. I definitely want you as my ob/gyn.

JDo said...

Funny comments!! Now can I get free BCP :)

atn19 said...

Free family planning for all!!