Sunday, July 31, 2011

lazy sunday

My little room, with its L.A. Raiders bedspread and musty scent, is beginning to feel like home (albeit a temporary one). I wash my quick-dry towel and intimates by hand in the bathroom sink. I barely flinched when I killed not one, not two, but three giant cockroaches while I was in the shower on Friday evening. And Off! is a trusted fellow combatant in my personal war against dengue.

Update:
Wash 1 load of laundry - Q.15 ($2 USD)
Air-dry 1 load of laundry on open-air terrace - Q.0 ($0 USD)
Late-night flash storm during rainy season - priceless

[Note: said laundry machine is located in creepy part of the house past 2 padlocked gates and down some steep steps in the midst of the wooded backyard!  I'm glad that I brought my headlamp and mag-lite].

It's amazing how quickly and easily one gets used to life in a different place, at a different pace...

Love and kisses from Guate.

rockin' the GEMMA tee at the Lake | july 2011 

Currently playing: Home | Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

3 comments:

pooj and jess said...

In exactly one month, I'm going to take a picture in that exact same spot, with that exact same t-shirt and exact same sunglasses, sporting that exact same le sportsac bag, but wearing a better looking face.

Shom Dasgupta said...

Hi Antoinette, not sure if you remember me from NU. I work for Wuqu' Kawoq, a NGO that partners with indigenous communities in rural Guatemala to develop first-language primary care systems. David Osborne told me about your work in the capital, so I thought I would drop a line. He came with me to check out some of our work there a year or so ago. Anyway, I will be in Guatemala in Aug and Sept, I think, so let me know if you want to meet up and/or get out of the city for a couple of days. Best, Shom Dasgupta (shom@wuqukawoq.org)

pooj and jess said...

p.s. I don't think you're not good-looking. I do think you have midget arms and stumps for legs though.