Friday, March 5, 2010

lone star state

I'm spending this month - the entire month - living with my parents in Houston while studying for Step 2 of my boards. This will be the longest I've been "home" in the last decade. It's taking some getting used to but the livin' ain't bad.

1. Home-cooked Vietnamese meals. 'nuff said.


2. Sunny and 60s. Goodbye schizo Atlanta weather, helloooo sandals.

3. My brother's TV. Jack Shepard & Sawyer never looked so good.

4. Cousins, cousins & cousins, oh my. Catholics are good at procreation.


5. Cruising through the 'burbs in my mother's Mercedes. Strangely, it's a smoother ride than my Toyota Camry that recently got recalled.


6. Last but not least, FOB parents (and grandparents) are funny.

Me: Dear Mom, I hate studying. Love, your daughter.
Mom: I hate study too that why I have no degree. [verbatim]

Grandmother: You're 27? Your goods are getting dried up.
[rough translation]
It's good to be home.

5 comments:

gradydoctor said...

The best comment of all comes from your mom (especially the fact that it's verbatim.)Thank you for making me laugh out loud today, but that is nothing new.

Study hard, but take breaks. . . .:)

Dr. M

atn19 said...

Clarification: my mother has a nursing degree from the motherland.

Unknown said...

sounds like a nice break from ATL; you know its OK to eat just to 85%, unless its crawfish, then I guess 110% is alright.

pooj and jess said...

Jim is on a diet; don't listen to people who diet.

(The word "die" is in "diet" for a reason).

jdo said...

you dieters and non - y'all missed the BEST crawfish boil (twice) :))