Thursday, May 24, 2007

Money talks

Currency exchange. Yes, that was the first conversation I had when I stepped foot onto this continent. No, not your usual whiny exchanges about the hardships of flying coach with a crying baby two rows behind you (as you read earlier, Ant and I got the luxury of pretending to be ballas on a budget when we were upgraded to business class) or about the difficulties of sleeping on a 10-hour flight...

Just currency exchange.

Ant: I don't understand why selling pesos would give you a profit here?
Jess: WTF are you talking about? It doesn't.
Ant: The sign says you can buy at 3.07 pesos and sell at 3.10.
Jess: Yeah. That makes sense. You end up losing money when you sell..
Ant: [stares blankly at me}

As the couple behind us smirked, I proceeded to engage myself in a 10-minute conversation about the apparent intricacies of buying and selling different currencies and who profits in the end...

Obviously, it wasn't me since I realized for the umpteenth time that just because someone gets into med school, doesn't necessarily mean s/he is smart. I pray for the future of medicine and my sanity for the next two months...

The smart one,
Jess

5 comments:

Yen said...

Yes, I also pray for your sanity as I don't want to be meeting any crazies in Peru in July. Safe travels! :)

Jinna said...

I don't get it.

pooja bhatia said...

i dont get it either...and just spent 10 minutes discussing with a co-worker.

atn19 said...

Good. I'm not the only 'tard. When you exchange your dollar for pesos, you get 3.07 pesos, but when you leave the country and presumably want that money back in dollars, you get one dollar for 3.10 pesos. So you lose a little money on the dollar and the Argentines win. That's why at exchange booths, you see a different rate for buying and selling currency.

-antoinette (not jess)

Jinna said...

This is why I need a tip chart.