Saturday, May 26, 2007

Death by sausage

In order to save money, we try to eat lunch for US$1-2/person. On 25 of May (Argentina Independence Day), we loiter around the Plazo de Mayo waiting for a "commemorative performance" that never happens and walk back toward the hostel to find a place to eat. We pass a dirty, empty parking lot where one guy is chopping up french bread with a machete and another guy is cooking heaps of chorizo and assorted, unindentifiable sausages on an open charcoal grill. For some reason, we think it will be sanitary enough to eat if we each pop 2 Pepto Bismol pills beforehand. It smells good. It looks good. I take a bite. And get a raw chunk of pork (I think). Jess assures me it's only uncooked because it's the tip. After eating more than half of the sausage, I realize the whole thing has bits of uncooked parts and charcoal.

I now have tapeworm. South America is the best diet ever.

Note: I am kidding! But it would be a great diet regimen...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

when we said be safe, that included staying healthy. stop eating uncooked pork. i don't want you to come back diseased for med school and the wedding.

Unknown said...

omg ant! you have t. solium?!?! be careful of what you eat girl!

Yen said...

way to be ballas on a budget ...

Jinna said...

man, that sounds tasty.

Tiffany said...

ewwwwwwwwww!!! can you see the worms moving under your skin?! ;) hehe.

you better get rid of them before you come back - or else you can't see francois.

Unknown said...

i know you guys are alive because ant's online right now. blog dammit!

Ryan said...

Write down where exactly that was, then in 6 years when you're working with CDC Parasitology to rid SA of tapeworms, you'll have a good place to start.

Still though, sounds better than Jimmy Dean.

bongnong said...

Wow, I thought I was adventurous when it comes to food. Well, your story reminds me of an incidence I had in Lima. My friend and I had decided to go see the city one night after work and had a delicious meal at a cute patio restaurant. I had been conscious about not eating raw dishes or drinking local water, just in case. But I had enjoyed my frozen cocktail so much that I forgot to leave the pineapple garnish alone. I was sick for 2 days.

Tiffany said...

excuse me - it's been 6 days since your last blog. stop being selfish with your time! drop whatever fun, enriching s.american activity you're doing right now and blog, dammit! geesh. ;)