Thursday, July 21, 2011

be still

At last count, Guatemala is the 26th* foreign country I've visited. I was 19 when I took my first big trip abroad in 2002 and went back to the motherland with 3 generations of my family. Almost a decade later, I've touched foot on every continent but Antarctica and Australia.

Sidenote: I always pause to reflect when I instinctively say "went back" or "going back" to Vietnam. I suppose Vietnam will forever tug at my heartstrings no matter how deep my roots in America grow.

As I slowly settle into a semblance of a routine in Guate (as the locals refer to Guatemala City), I'm struck by how my travel mojo has evolved over the past decade. Just ask 2 of my siblings. On our first backpacking trip through Western Europe (+ Prague), I planned each day chock-full of tourist sights that usually meant many, many miles by foot and sometimes, 100s of steep, steep stairs. I've seen enough churches to last me a lifetime, no joke. Each day was marked by the same frenetic pace as I tried to quell an insatiable need to see it all and do it all (and always "for the story"). After that 2004 Eurotrip, Tommy vowed never to travel with me again.

salamanca, spain | fall 2003
salar de uyuni, boliva | july 2007
aran islands, ireland | april 2008
sapa, vietnam | july 2008

zanzibar, tanzania | february 2009

Luckily, my brother forgave me and we returned to Europe this past winter for a Barcelona + Paris one-two punch.

paris, france | january 2011


And now, I find that my travel goals are focused less on sights and sounds and more on experiences and reflection. And definitely food and drink. Definitely. I force myself to be still (emotionally and physically) but with an open heart and mind. Every day is a "day of yes" and I try my best to let go of agendas and to-do lists. I admit, it's sometimes hard to teach this old dog new tricks. But at the end of each trip, I always hope that this be-still-and-know** mentality translates to everyday living back home, instead of merely being a temporary departure from the norm.

Next adventure: weekend trip to Panajachel on Lake Atitlán!

*Yes, Vatican City counts.
**I have found this blog, written by my mentor's friend, so inspiring.

5 comments:

pooj and jess said...

I am too upset to comment. Your country count surpasses mine by five. Fail.

Anonymous said...

hey, how come you took me off your email list? I want back in, Ant!

Also, I can't figure out posting. This is the fifth time, I've typed this message...

jim

Anonymous said...

wait, just figure it out...

could you please change your background now.

gradydoctor said...

Hey Ant.

Love this. Love this. Love this.

Miss you. Miss you. Miss you.

Love, "your mentor"

thuy-my said...

keep writing =)

miss you!

severely envious,
thuy-my