Sunday, June 17, 2007

Don't look at me

(think Damian from Mean Girls while singing Xtina)

Traveling is always an adventure. Finding your next meal. Aimlessly wandering through towns. Facing communication barriers. Getting medical attention was one of the best ones to date though.

I really thought I could tough out the bug bites with just steroid cream and calamine lotion. But by day 5, I looked like a monster. I'm not kidding. Jess was such a trooper because she actually had to look at my face. I almost cried every time I went to the bathroom and saw my reflection in the mirror. So after my mom (and Jinna) freaked me out, I figured it was time to find something that would alleviate the swelling, pain, discomfort and all-around misery I was in. Oh yeah, and for Jess to finally start looking me in the eye again! I was also worried about scarring...

Stop 1: I went to a pharmacy to see if they'd give me steroids over the counter. I mean, Argentina is great and all but it's still not First World. I figured I'd give it a shot... Too bad the female pharmacist took one look at my face, literally recoiled in disgust, and offered me a mere bottle of calamine lotion instead. "No gracias."

Stop 2: We passed a medical clinic but they wouldn't see us. Communication was an issue but I think it was because we'd walked into a free clinic serving Argentine residents only.

Stop 3: I made Jess walk into the tourist office to see where I could go because I couldn't stand looking strangers in the eye. Those bugs turned me into a pariah.

Stop 4: ER of a free general hospital which would see foreigners. We sat on a bench for about an hour, journaling to while away the time, until one girl fainted next to me. She was wheeled away, but we moved to the floor to make room for others. Then, a boy fainted right next to Jess. At that point, she jumped up, grabbed her bag, and ran out of the ER. So no medical attention for Ant.

Stop 5: The guy working reception at our hostel called his step-mom, a doctor, and gave me the address of the best hospital in Mendoza. So the following morning, Jess and I cabbed it to the 'burbs where I got a prompt shot of 10ml cortisone to my right bum cheek and a prescription for anti-parasite cream. All for free. Non-First-World or not, I was left with a beautiful impression of the Argentine healthcare system.

After that wonderful shot, the swelling and itching subsided tremendously. I still use the steroid cream all over my face and body and I may have some scars. At least I've been de-freaked and Jess will look at me without flinching and averting her eyes. What else are sisters for?

I am beautiful / No matter what they say / Words can't bring me down

But hell, bugs sure did for awhile.

besos,
Ant "infection incubator" Nguyen

Day 3: I'm not happy
Day 5
Wearing socks so as to prevent night-time face scratching
5 stops and a shot in the ass later

5 comments:

SarahA said...

can you get west nile in south america? i am thinking you can.

Unknown said...

wow... i didn't know it was that bad. i am so glad you got some real medicine for it.

Unknown said...

awww poor ant. thank goodness for steriods. just think... your adventures would make a good novel!

Tiffany said...

a shot in the bum and you're good to go! maybe jess should've gotten one to avert all those rabid canines... j-gun, you're not allowed in my bed until you've been quarantined for 2 months!

Unknown said...

jess, you lied. it hurts when you lie to me. you said that you were updating. there is no update! i don't know if we can be friends anymore. it hurts. it really hurts.